Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tomato Phyllo Tart

Tomato Phyllo Tart

12 sheets phyllo dough (I use ½ the package and make the tart 1 ½ times as long)
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoon pesto (I use however much I want, it depends how much you like pesto, I love it)
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (Again, if I can find a bigger container, I use more)
1 large red tomato, cut into thin slices
1 large yellow tomato cut into thin slices
10 small basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste

**I used torn spinach and put it under the tomatoes. I couldn't find yellow tomatoes, so I use thinly sliced yellow pepper and I don't use the basil)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay one large sheet of phyllo dough on the prepared pan. (I overlap two sheets in the middle to form a larger rectangle.)

Lightly coat phyllo with olive oil using a pastry brush. Repeat layers until all phyllo dough has been layered.

Using the same pastry brush, spread pesto across the phyllo dough. Sprinkle with half of the feta cheese. Spread spinach across pesto. Arrange tomato slices and any other vegetables over the spinach, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining feta over the top.

Bake the tart until the crust turns brown and crispy, 30-35 minutes (May not need to cook it that long, I think my oven may be off). Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. To serve, lift parchment paper and slide the tart onto a cutting board or large platter. Scatter basil leaves on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.


*Note on the Recipe: I guess I have changed it quite a bit from the original, but Manny will eat it, and it tastes good, so that is all that really matters :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're crazy...i want to see actual pictures of manny eating these so that we can have proof!! but i love this recipe so i know that i will eat it...yum.